How to Choose a Simple but Secure Password
By Jon, IT Superhero
Picking a password can be difficult at the best of times, and meeting the requirements to make it secure is even harder!
To make it easier to remember your password (but hard for anyone else to guess it), we have put together a guide on how to choose a simple but secure password.
The number one rule when it comes to choosing a password is to not choose obvious or short passwords like password, 1234, your name or your date of birth!
The below steps can be one of the easiest ways to create a simple but secure password, that’s even better than a password like “askjdgfbjqhbawe7128q3gyhu” (which you’ll definitely end up leaving on a sticky note somewhere!)
How to choose a simple but secure password in six easy steps:
- Pick three random words eg: Jar Tea Phone
- Choose a date that is easy for you to recall eg: 2009
- Put the words together eg: jarteaphone
- Split the date up and put it at the start and end eg: 20jarteaphone09
- Capitalise a letter in each word eg: 20JarTeaPhone09
- Add two special characters to the end eg: 20JarTeaPhone09!!
And that’s it! You now have a simple but secure password that is not easily hacked.